I made this for dinner last night with the last of our garden cucumbers. This quick marinade is probably my favorite way to eat cucumbers. You can vary the herbs and citrus to suit your menu; for instance, basil is delicious in this salad. Do not omit the small amount of sugar, though, as it really helps the flavors shine.
The original recipe is from Sara Foster’s Casual Cooking, but as the title says, it is a Southern classic.
Classic Cucumber Salad
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, cilantro, basil or mint
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime or lemon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and toss to mix. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to chill.
- Cool Summer Cucumber Dishes (well.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Cucumber Salads For A Warm Summer Days By GreenChefs Golubka (gliving.com)