Burritos are probably the easiest weekday dinner to throw together, and are especially good for using up bits and pieces hanging around the kitchen, such as the stray vegetable, chile, bit of cheese and leftover beans. I try to make healthier burritos than the kind you get in Mexican restaurants, with many more vegetables and less cheese and sour cream. This is a filling, warming burrito with plenty of good beans and sweet potato, plus just a little cheese to tie it all together. This recipe makes 4 large burritos or 8 small ones, enough for 4 people.
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burritos
Time to make: ~1 hour
What you need:
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt, oregano, cumin and cayenne to taste
- 1 can black beans (not drained)
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 4 large or 8 small flour tortillas
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- sour cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a baking pan with nonstick cooking spray
- Simmer the sweet potato and water in a covered pot until tender, 20-30 minutes
- While that is cooking, heat the oil in another pot over medium-high
- Add the onion and saute a few minutes
- Add the garlic and saute 30 seconds
- Season well to taste
- Add the beans and chile, and bring to a simmer
- When the sweet potatoes are done, mix them with the beans and mash them coarsely with a potato masher
- Spoon some filling down the center of a tortilla and top with the goat cheese
- Roll each burrito, place in a baking pan and bake for 15-20 minutes
- Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, if desired
One good-sized chipotle will add plenty of kick. If you want your burritos less spicy, add less chile.
I use goat cheese in this recipe because I think it adds some tartness in counterpoint to the rich, smooth potato-bean mixture.
To roll up a burrito so it will stay rolled, first fold the bottom halfway over the filling. Then, fold in each side. Roll up from the folded bottom and place in the baking pan seam side down.