Marinated cucumbers are one of my favorite starters — refreshing, but not filling. They can be made a few hours ahead of time and chilled in the refrigerator. This is a milder version that pairs well with Asian foods. The recipe is very versatile and can be made sweeter or hotter to taste, so please experiment!
Sweet and Sour Cucumbers
Time to make: at least 1 hour
Keeps: up to 1 week in the refrigerator
Combine in a bowl:
- 1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. coarse salt
Let marinate for at least 1 hour. Drain before serving.