Are you overrun in garden goodness? Then try this salad. It was a big hit at our house and is chock full of delicious veggies. While I made it with eggplant and squash, I think it might also take well to additions or substitutions of tomatoes and sweet peppers. A little bit of roasted chile is absolutely essential, though — the mild bite makes this salad special.
Mediterranean-Style Roasted Vegetable Salad
Time to make: ~30 minutes
Yields: 4-6 servings
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut 1 eggplant and 2 summer squash/zucchini into fairly large chunks.
- Add 1 onion, sliced, and 1-2 mild chiles such as Anaheim, diced.
- Toss all the vegetables in a roasting pan with 2 tbsp. olive oil, coarse salt and pepper.
- Roast until browned at the edges, about 25 minutes.
- Whisk together 2 tsp. garlic paste or 2 pressed garlic cloves, 2 tbsp. olive oil, 1 tbsp. lemon juice and 1 tsp. cumin.
- Toss with the vegetables and add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle over with shredded basil.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Notes: All amounts are approximate and based on memory. Taste and adjust as you go.