Don’t these mozzarella-tomato-pesto toasts look like tiny pizzas? They are delicious and dead simple to make, plus another good way to use up pesto. As long as you have the requisite ingredients on hand, you can whip these up in no time.
But if you don’t have these ingredients, substitute widely. I think this recipe would work with any number of combinations. Why not try chutney, brie and apple slices? Or eggplant spread, gruyere and roasted red pepper? Because these toasts can be made with whatever’s in the fridge, they are perfect for impulsive snacking or drop-in guests.
Time to make: ~15 minutes with prepared pesto
- Heat the broiler.
- Thickly slice a baguette.
- Brush both sides of each slice with olive oil.
- Put the bread on a baking sheet and broil 1-2 minutes per side, until browned.
- Spread each slice with pesto.
- Top with a slice of mozzarella and 1-2 slices ripe tomato.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Return under the broiler another 1-2 minutes, until the cheese is melted, taking care not to burn the bread.