Image via Wikipedia
It may be 85 degrees here today, but fall has arrived. With the humidity dissipating, the air has that wonderful fresh crispness I love about fall, and the sky is a clear, scrubbed blue. The garden is looking very sad, indeed, and needs to be dug under after we salvage the last few cantaloupes and basil leaves. I’m more in the mood to be outside and to cook, especially soups, stews and heartier fare.
Visitors to my blog seem to feel the same way. Here is what they have been looking for and what I plan to cook as the days get cooler:
- Now is the time for butternut squash soup. I‘m making some tonight with dumplings, but it’s also so good with chiles or apples.
- Cooler nights call for lasagna, a hearty pasta sauce or roasted chicken and vegetables.
- This is also a great time of year for cornbread; I’ve already made my first batch of the fall (and turned the leftovers into a hearty panzanella).
- If you have any basil left to harvest, you’re probably still making pesto and wondering what to do with it; pasta sauce and pasta salad are two great options.
I don’t think it’s too soon to think about the holidays and all those holiday treats. I’ve collected a few recipes from around the blogosphere that seem like just the thing for the sweets season:
- You can’t have too many chocolate chip cookie recipes; here’s a droolicious one from Tender Crumb.
- Make these Chewy Mint Chocolate Cookies from lily.violet now with the last of the mint.
- These Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars from Cooking with Cristine are bound to be a hit.
- I love these simple Devil’s Food Cupcakes with Fluffy Frosting from Taste and Tell.
- Here’s an unusual twist on a traditional brownie from the Recipe Girl: Pretzel-Toffee Chip Brownies.
- This Lemon Curd Cake at Pastry Studio looks like an elegant dessert for a holiday dinner party.
- Or how could you go wrong with a dessert called Lemon Delicious?
- You’ll probably also be hosting a brunch or two over the holidays — Baked Eggs, Toast and Bacon cups at look like the perfect brunch recipe.
- Follow that up with Chocolate Chunk Coffee Cake from Genesis of a Cook.
I guess we’re all set for some cold weather baking. What are you making for fall?