It has been a cold and rainy March in North Carolina. There have been no opportunities to get outside and even start to prep the garden. There is a lot to do, and time seems short. I am very much ready for spring to start in earnest, but that’s what April is all about.
The farmers market opens next weekend, and that for me always gets me geared up to cook. I love the comfort foods of winter, but after a while, you start craving some really fresh veggies. I’ve been wanting to make salads and simply cooked fresh vegetables, such as asparagus with a sauce Gribiche. Speaking of asparagus, nothing beats the combination of pan-roasted asparagus and fried eggs. This is a perfect late-night supper dish, which I’ve already had twice this asparagus season.
Here are some recipes from the Interwebs that have caught my eye recently:
- Fast Potato Gratin from Mark Bittman (because you can never have too many gratin recipes)
- Cashew Chicken, one of my favorite Chinese restaurant dishes, from Smell & Taste Are My Memory
- Another Chinese restaurant favorite, Chicken with Ginger from Mark Bittman
- Hobo Bread, an interesting take on the no-knead bread recipe, from Doris and Jilly Cook
- And because who doesn’t love breakfast, here are seven quick breakfast ideas from top chefs’ kitchens (from Esquire)