I love this time of year, because we are currently inundated with fruit. Strawberries are for sale along the sides of country roads. Blueberries and raspberries are cheap again, but oranges are still plentiful. And it’s only going to get better. Melon season is coming, and peaches, and plums.
When your wealth is so abundant, the best thing to do is to make salad. Sure, you can just cut up different kinds of fruit and toss them together in a bowl. But a few simple additions can make an ordinary fruit salad sparkle.
First, pick fruits that are in season and are absolutely ripe. I usually limit myself to three different kinds of fruit, as I think too many varieties muddy the individual flavors. Cut into bite-sized pieces and toss gently with the juice of 1 lemon. This will help keep the fruit from browning. Depending on sweetness, I may add a spoonful or two of honey to the mixture.
There are many options for adding a little extra flavor. Here are my favorite ideas:
- Add ¼ tsp. vanilla extract.
- Shave over some lime or orange zest.
- Sprinkle in a little cayenne or black pepper.
- Toss with nuts or cheese.
- Instead of the honey, muddle minced mint or basil with sugar and toss with the fruit.
- Add up to ½ cup of white wine, champagne or liqueur and chill.
- Serve over vanilla yogurt or ice cream to make an instant parfait.