Ever since I limited myself from buying packaged foods, which include chips and crackers, I have been trying to eat more nutritious snacks made from whole foods. My sense is that not only are these foods better for me, but I actually snack less and am more satisfied, which keeps my weight stable.
Here are a few tips I’ve worked out to help me snack better:
- Put out fruit on the counter, especially nibbles like grapes and berries. When I see them, I want to eat them. (I used to have this trigger effect with candy and chips, but they aren’t allowed in my house anymore.)
- Always keep nuts and dried fruit in the house. A handful makes for a quick and filling snack if intense hunger strikes, usually in the late afternoon.
- Indulge in a block of good cheese. It tastes better eaten alone or with homemade bread (since there are no more crackers), and it’s also very filling. I try to vary it from week to week.
- Indulge my sweet tooth once a week or so with a homemade treat. This week I think I’ll make banana bread.
What tips do you have for snacking better? Please leave them in the comments.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Notes on Avoiding Packaged Foods: Salads and Dried Fruit (simplycooking.wordpress.com)
- 7 habits of highly successful snackers (cnn.com)