If it is possible to be in love with a salad dressing, then I am head over heels for blue cheese dressing. It is my decadent treat at home-style Italian restaurants and steakhouses. But it’s even better to make at home, because then you can ensure you get lots of blue cheese goodness, and you can eat the batch all week. This dressing not only works on salads — I recommend romaine hearts, croutons, tomatoes and bacon — but it also makes a good dip for crudites and chicken wings.
Blue Cheese DressingMakes about ¾ cup
- 2½ ounces blue cheese, crumbled (about ½ cup)
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk or substitute whole milk, if you must
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt (you can also use mayonnaise, but I prefer yogurt)
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and ground black pepperMash the blue cheese and buttermilk or milk together with a fork until the you’ve achieved the right crumbly-creamy texture to suit your tastes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 1 week.