Football season is upon us. I know because my husband disappears every Sunday afternoon and Monday night, giving me some much-needed alone time. Ahhh, I love the autumn.
Kidding aside, these buffalo chicken strips are a great recipe find from Sara Foster’s Fresh Every Day, and they go perfectly with football games. You can even grill them at your next tailgate party. I like them because they’re a lot less trouble than wings but deliver the same taste, and they give me an excuse to make blue cheese dip. I would probably dip grasshoppers in blue cheese dip and eat them. (Well, only if they’re deep-fried.)
Buffalo Chicken StripsServes 4 to 6
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (Tabasco or Texas Pete)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1½ pounds)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Chunky Blue Chese Dip (recipe follows or you could substitute leftover Blue Cheese Dressing)
- 2 celery stalks, halved and cut into 3-inch sticks
Preheat a grill or the broiler. Whisk the butter, oil, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper and paprika together in a small bowl. Cut the chicken breasts diagonally into ½-inch-wide strips and season with salt and pepper. Place the strips in a shallow dish or bowl, pour half the sauce over them, and toss to coat evenly.
Brush the grill or a baking pan lightly with oil. Place the chicken strips on the grill or in the pan and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, until cooked through. Serve with the Chunky Blue Cheese Dip, the remaining wing sauce and the celery sticks.
Chunky Blue Cheese Dip
- ¼ cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Stir the buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper together. Stir in the blue cheese. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste and stir in the chives. Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 1 week.
- Blue Cheese Dressing (simplycooking.wordpress.com)